Award winning Product Designer & Developer with more than 12 years of experience in designing & building web experiences and growing digital products.
Founded several startups and tech/design communities. Wide-ranging design and tech background. I love experimenting with new technologies, building new products, indie games and finding the best burger recipe out there.
Founder (Vienna, Austria) – 2016 – present
Franz is a messaging app that combines chat & messaging services like Slack, WhatsApp, WeChat, Facebook Messenger and many more into one application.
- Concept, design & development of frontend, backend and management services.
- Frontend: electron, React, MobX.
- Backend: Node.js, Express, RethinkDB.
Owner/Self employed (Vienna, Austria) – 2013 – present
- Project based product design & development for innovation agencies, VC’s and software companies in general.
- Leading a team of up to 7 freelancers for software/hardware project (Bluetooth enabled hardware lock).
- Development of WordPress plugins/solutions like:
- Sofort.com payment plugin for Gravity Forms.
- Airport parking space reservation with Sofort.com and Stripe integration.
- WP REST API based API for Uber Eats competitor based on WooCommerce data.
Electron Maestro/External consultant (remote) – February 2018 – February 2019
- Worked on
- Key responsibility is to automate & simplify the release processes of the electron apps by modernizing the infrastructure and moving builds to CI services.
- General improvements, bugfixing and refactoring of legacy code.
External consultant (remote) – 2017 – 2018
- Development of electron based crypto wallet for Cardano (ADA).
- Research and concept for plugin infrastructure to enable multi currency wallets.
Designer & Product Designer (Los Angeles, USA / Vienna, Austria) – 2015 – 2016
- Rebranding and redesign from “dvel” to “swell” to fit audience.
- Concept & UI Design for iOS and Android.
Co-Founder & Creative Lead (Vienna, Austria) – 2015 – 2016
- Limited 1 year experiment to build a game studio and a game within 6 months + 6 months post launch.
- Concept & design for (mobile) game “Shooting Stars!” – Released for iOS, Android, Steam and other platforms.
- Prototyping and FX Design in Unity.
- Marketing, PR and community management.
- Story of fake pirate version went viral with several million media impressions.
Founder (Vienna, Austria) – 2013 – 2015
Grete is a personal food planning & shopping assistant for iOS that creates weekly meal plans and shopping lists.
- Design, prototyping and validation of concept.
- Backend service development with CodeIgniter and Postgres.
Lead Designer (Vienna, Austria) – 2010 – 2013
- Concept & Design for Annual Reports for companies like Volkswagen, Shell, Barclays, Deutsche Bank and other Fortune Global 500 companies.
- Established and coordinated design team of 3 graphic designers.
Digital Designer & Web Developer – apprenticeship (Linz, Austria) – 2006 – 2010
- Design and development of bespoke websites (PHP, HTML, CSS).
- Co-development of company CMS (PHP).
- Misty is a concurrent script runner written in Node.js/TypeScript that can watch directories and restart processes on file changes.
- Misty is especially useful for developing electron applications or backend services that need to be restarted to reflect changes.
- Used by
simplenote-electronand soon by
- Proof of concept for a mouse-less/keyboard controlled UI for Github notifications as an macOS menubar app. Created with electron, TypeScript, React, Node.js and Express.
Community platform for the Austrian Game Development Community.
- WordPress based website to let game developers and studios showcase their games.
- Slack based community.
- Built a collaborative shopping list for iOS with PhoneGap, Backbone.js, Less and CodeIgniter on the backend side.
- Proficiency in PHP, MySQL, Postgres, RethinkDB, Git, Linux, CI Services (CircleCI, Travis, AppVeyor).
- Broad experience with AWS.
- In 2016, Franz won the Product Hunt Golden Kitty Award for Best Desktop App of the Year.
- Co-founded the Vienna Gamedev Meetup in 2015 – Austria’s largest gamedev meetup with an average of 80+ attendees.
- Fluent in German (native language) and English.